Silverton Paideia Academy is an elementary (PreK-6) magnet school in the Cincinnati Public School District, located in a quiet residential neighborhood in the City of Silverton. Our teachers and staff are highly qualified educators averaging more than 20 years experience in the classroom. As a magnet school featuring Paideia-based instruction and a supporting museum school concept, our students come from more than 30 different communities in the Cincinnati area, but we are well-rooted in our home community of Silverton.
Silverton Paideia Academy teachers and students are guided by the principles of the Paideia philosophy that:
- ALL children can learn
- ALL students need and deserve the same high quality education
- ALL students must be challenged to perform to the best of their ability
- ALL genuine knowledge is active rather than passive
What makes Silverton Paideia different?
The experienced and dedicated staff at Silverton make all of the difference in the world, but our approach to education is unique in the region. As a museum school, we actively partner with local nature, cultural and scientific organizations to engage our students in the active creation of projects, artifacts and exhibits that utilize the skills and knowledge they gain through the existing Paideia program. In order to fully appreciate this creative process and to put knowledge into a meaningful context, students will make frequent visits to local museums and related institutions. More than just a fieldtrip, these visits will focus on selected objects or exhibits in order to stimulate or enhance the students’ traditional classroom learning. Students and teachers utilize the museums as an extension of their classroom, not someplace to visit only on special occasions.
We also feature:
- The same strong liberal arts course of study for all students
- Hands-on math and science instruction
- Integration of the museum school concept to encourage students to actively process and
apply new knowledge and skills
- The use of teachers as “coaches” to help students learn
- The utilization of small group activities in which students practice specific skills
- Seminar periods in which students learn to express and defend their opinions about
important issues and ideas
- As a Community Learning Center, Silverton Paideia strives to provide a full continuum of
services to our families and neighbors year round, not just during the school day