Philosophy and Practice
Silverton Paideia Academy, located in the residential neighborhood of the Village of Silverton, is a PreK-6 magnet school and community learning center within the Cincinnati Public Schools District. The school's emphases are Paideia-based instruction and Socratic seminar, and the adoption of The Leader in Me process (TLIM). TLIM will teach Silverton Students leadership skills through application of Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. These three pillars work together to educate the whole child and empower students to take ownership of their learning.
Silverton Paideia is proud of its continued evidence of student academic growth for all of its demographic subgroups, including the school's primary and elementary autism and multiple disabilities population. This is a tribute to the commitment of its dedicated teaching staff, a highly qualified group of educators.
Principles & Values
Silverton Paideia Educational Philosophy is guided by the principles of the Paideia philosophy:
- All children can learn.
- All students need and deserve the same high quality education.
- All students must be challenged to perform to the best of their ability.
- All genuine knowledge is active rather than passive.
In order to accomplish this, Silverton Paideia Academy upholds these Core Values:
- Strong academics
- Student ownership in the learning process
- Paideia Socratic seminar for students' critical thinking
- Engaging field experiences to build on key academic concepts
- Problem/Project-based learning for real-world application of academic concepts
- Arts integration for creative and innovative thinking
- Staff and student collaboration and active communication
- Family and community partnerships
What is The Leader in Me?
Positive School Culture
The Leader in Me process was designed to help teachers develop leadership skills in their students. Helping students discover their own unique strengths allows teachers to find opportunities for every child to shine — to be a leader. Incorporating the common language of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People into all curriculum areas deepens student understanding and acknowledges what the school and teacher believe to be important.
Silverton Paideia Academy will use The Leader in Me process to teach 21st-century leadership and life skills to create a culture of student empowerment based on the idea that every child can be a leader. Students will learn the seven habits that will become the foundation for school-wide expectations for behavior.
Silverton Paideia Academy Highly Effective Students will follow these seven habits:
- Be productive — I am in charge of me.
- Begin with the end In mind. I have a plan.
- Put first things first — I work first, and then play.
- Think win-win — everyone can win.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood — I listen before I talk.
- Synergize — together is better.
- Sharpen the saw. Balance feels best.