Cincinnati Public Schools (CPS) determined at this evening’s board meeting to temporarily shift to a districtwide distance/remote learning model effective Wednesday, January 12, due to ongoing staffing shortages that are a result of an increase in COVID-19 in the community.
In-person learning is scheduled to resume on Monday, January 24 if staffing levels are sufficient to safely reopen schools.
CPS has the best protocols in place, including a staff vaccine mandate, masking and sanitizing. School remains one of the safest environments for students. However, increased community spread has resulted in significant staffing shortages.
Learning and work continue! Below is the schedule for CPS students and staff beginning Wednesday, January 12. Please note that it is critical that students bring home devices and other materials that will be needed for distance learning on Wednesday, January 12.
Dater High School, Walnut Hills High School, Carson School, Hays-Porter School, Rees E. Price Academy and Rothenberg Academy that were scheduled to come back January 12 will remain in remote.
|Wednesday January 12–Friday, January 14||Monday, January 17||Tuesday, January 18–Friday, January 20||Monday, January 24 (Tentative)|
Students distance learning
|MLK Holiday — No school||Students distance learning||Students return to five-day per week in-person|
|Staff remote work if able||MLK Holiday — No school, Central Office Closed||Staff remote work if possible||Staff returns to in-person|
LEAP Academy and AWL will return for one day of in-person classes, tomorrow January 11, to allow students and staff to gather any additional required materials.
All schools will follow the district schedule above, beginning Wednesday, January 12.
Attendance and Instruction
- Students will learn from home using CPS-provided devices.
- Students are expected to log in, and attendance will be taken.
- Teachers will send Google Meet links for “classroom” time and students should log in to Schoology using their CPS google credentials to access and submit assignments.
- Students should call the Family Technology Support Center (FTS) for all technical needs/support (including how to log in, password issues, broken devices, etc.) at (513) 363-0688.
- To sign up for free Internet service/wifi through a partnership with Cincinnati Bell please call (513) 566-3895.
Packs and Hubs
- On January 12 and January 18, students and families will be able to pick up meal packs between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. at school
- All schools will serve as a meal hub with the exception of the following: Zoo Academy, Lighthouse and the Promise Center. Students/families of those schools may go to any other CPS location to receive their meal packs.
Athletics and Other Events
- Athletics and Arts programs will continue. However, tickets to all games and events will be reduced to two per student through January 24. Recruiters may also attend games and not count against a student’s guest allocation.
All clinics are currently open; check here for the most up-to-date information.
- One of the best ways to stay healthy and reduce the impact of COVID-19 is to get fully vaccinated. This includes getting a booster for those who are eligible. We encourage all individuals ages 5 and up to get vaccinated. Please see some CPS-sponsored opportunities below:
- Thursday, January 13, from 5–7:30 p.m. at Rockdale Academy
- Thursday, February 3, from 5–7:30 p.m. at Rees E. Price Academy
- Thursday, February 24, from 5–7:30 p.m. at Rees E. Price Academy
Updated Quarantine Guidelines
- The CDC has reduced quarantine times for some individuals with COVID-19.
- Five-day quarantine period from onset of symptoms
- Students and employees may return to school/the workplace on day 6 if they have no symptoms
- Masks are highly recommended by the CDC on days 6-10 and already required as part of CPS protocol
- Please continue to report positive COVID-19 test results to your school nurse
Thank you for your continued flexibility and support. Please stay safe and healthy!
Tianay Amat, Interim Superintendent